There’s no need to wait months to enjoy the delicious flavor of homegrown peas. You can grow pea sprouts and shoots year-round inside your home. And while you can buy sprouts and shoots from the supermarket or farmers’ market, these nutrient dense foods are quick and easy to grow indoors. Plus, you don’t need any fancy equipment to produce a bumper crop of sweet, tender pea sprouts and shoots. In this article you’ll learn all you need to know to grow your own non-stop crop of pea sprouts and shoots.
PREPARING TO SPROUT GREEN PEAS
Before you get started sprouting green peas, read through these helpful tips:
- Green peas sprout better in cooler temperatures. Keep sprouting beans around 68-70°F, if possible.
- Green peas require a longer soaking period and more frequent rinsing and draining than smaller seeds, especially in warmer temperatures.
- Green peas may not get enough air during draining. Make sure your sprouting container allows plenty of ventilation during draining periods. Try a sprouting bag instead of a jar for green peas and other larger beans.
- It is normal for the skins to loosen and come off the peas during sprouting. Either pick the skins out or leave them in, as they do not affect the flavor.
- Sprouted green peas require cooking before consuming.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SPROUTING GREEN PEAS
- Rinse ½-¾ cup green peas and pick out any stones, debris, or split beans. Place in a quart-size sprouting jar or other sprouting container.
- Add 2-3 cups water, filling the jar three-quarters full, cover with a sprouting screen or mesh sprouting lid. Soak green peas at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse green peas thoroughly. Invert the jar over a bowl at an angle so that the beans will drain and still allow air to circulate.
- Repeat rinsing and draining 2-3 times per day until sprouts are the desired length, usually 3-4 days.
- Taste sprouts (not beans) daily; discontinue rinsing and draining when sprouts have reached desired length and flavor.
- Drain green peas for several hours before cooking or transferring to a covered container.
Store sprouts in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
Dry Peas await their Soak.